guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oh! Tonight's the Night!

I think I should have a lot of strong opinions about Oscars. Some years I do.

This year there are so many films I loved, and none are in the running that I hated, so I have few strong feelings about anything.

But I can't wait.

Even in years when I didn't see many movies, I would be glued to the television until the bitter end.

I love Oscars. I love watching movie stars on Oscar night. (Dolly Parton is being interviewed even as I type!) I'm watching now and thinking, "I've been there. I remember that place!"

I'm a movie-loving dork.

Have you ever been way early to a movie? So early that you're the only person there, that the music hasn't even started yet, that it's just you, the quiet, the softly lit red drapes covering the magic screen way down there in front of you? Have you ever noticed how holy that moment feels, like being in a church -- no, like a cathedral?

This is probably the prayingest day in Hollywood. And no telling how many are shooting their way heavenward right now. "God, I promise, I PROMISE, let me win, and I swear, I'll never [insert something I don't even want to think about here] again!" "Jesus CHRIST don't let him be drunk again, tonight!" "For God's sake make sure the five-second delay is working!" "Oh ye gods and little fishes, don't let me pee myself if I win...."

Tonight is the Holiest of Holy Days for those who worship at the altar of celluloid. Only instead of wine and bread, it's beer and popcorn.

"And the winner is ... "

We'll know soon.

7 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Candace said...

Great post, Pooks!
I thought all the gowns this year were beautiful, tasteful, almost boring, really.
I was holding my breath the whole time Dolly Parton was singing because I was afraid that if she tilted forward one more time, she'd fall over. (o)(o)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger cmw said...

So, what'd you think?

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger cmw said...

How old is Dolly Parton anyway? Nothing against her, but I'm wondering if she Dorian Gray portraiture hanging somewhere.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger cmw said...

60 - Dolly Parton is 60.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Even though I loved Rachel Weisz in Constant Gardener, I honestly thought Michelle Williams did a transcendant job in Brokeback and would have loved to see her win. Other than that, I was satisfied with all the major wins, including CRASH. I could have seen most of those awards go in several directions without being unhappy.

Where are Cher and Bob Mackie when you need them?

Somebody should have made sure that Lauren Bacall could read the teleprompter. That was difficult to watch because she's such a terrific woman and she was probably cursing a blue streak beneath her breath. (At least I hope she was.)

Jerry Jones should have asked Dolly Parton who does her plastic, because she still looks incredible, but for a girl who used to be buxom, her waist and legs are so tiny it makes me worry. Her face looked fine, but I wondered if she's even healthy, if she's been ill, she's so tiny (other than above-mentioned "attributes" that do make her scarily topheavy.)

It was a nice award ceremony, if unmemorable, although there were some great speeches, especially George Clooney.

I guess that's what I thought!

(60! Man, she looks good.)

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Jay Ann Cox, PhD said...

Missed the first half-hour, missed Clooney's speech. Is there a transcript somewhere?

It seemed to be a good night for writers. ;-)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Yes it was -- but I find it odd that in all the references to Larry McMurtry winning the Oscar, I don't believe I've heard anyone refer to him as "The Pulitzer Prize winning Larry McMurtry...."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home