guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

BBC Radio Scotland Gets In On the Game

So I'm listening to Radio Scotland and I hear them promoting Write Here, Right Now.

How about spending the most boring month in the year, February, doing something crazy and creative?

Why not write a novel?

Radio Scotland challenges you to take part in 'Write Here, Right Now'. You just commit to writing 1000 words a day for 28 days. We're talking potential, not a polished novel, with that all-important deadline hurtling towards you.

Check it out -- weekly newsletter, etc. I thought I understood them to say that there will also be a radio show that talks about it daily but don't find mention of that on the website. So maybe I just made that up. That's what writers do, you know. Make things up. And sometimes even get what's made up and what's not confused in their feeble little minds, or maybe it doesn't matter, I forget which excuse James Frey used.

Less demanding than nanowrimo, National Novel Writing Month, which requires 50,000 words in November, yet more demanding than NILTOY, Novel In Less Than One Year, though there's no reason you couldn't do both.

And don't forget that Louise Doughty has started a weekly column in the Telegraph encouraging wannabe novelists to just do it. Write a novel this year.

And don't forget to run your title through the Lulu Title Scorer to see, well, how it scores. I wouldn't change a great title just because Lulu doesn't give it a high score. On the other hand, Margaret Mitchell thought Tomorrow Is Another Day was a great title. Luckily her editors changed her mind.

Go on. Write up a storm.

5 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger ronniebeegood said...

Well, I'm thinking that Lulu thing must be stuck! Every title I entered scored a 10.2% chance of being a bestseller including, "DaVinci Code," "Gone with the Wind," "Tender is the night," and "Jumping Tomato." Maybe there should be a contest to see who can come up with the highest score for a title.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger cmw said...

So, I guess this means the office got cleaned.

;)

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

ronniebee -- Jumping Tomato? What great work of fiction am I missing?!?

cynthia -- yes, indeedy! In fact, my only criteria was that it look better, but I have actually gotten everything off the floor that doesn't go there (gasp) and cleaned off the desk and -- brace yourself -- cleaned out the desk drawers!

The bookcases are all still a mess, though!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Jay Ann Cox, PhD said...

It's days later... does this mean I don't have to? or maybe 3,000 words less than the goal? um, that would be 25,000 but dammit! I just told my voice recorder that my Current Novel Idea only needed to be Nicholas-Sparks-sized. 25,000... hmmm.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

GO FOR IT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home