guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Cat! Saving!

(I need to start naming all these STC entries in a way that makes it clear for people who are following this, hmm.)

Oh, sorry, talking to myself. Again. (Did you know again is an adverb? I looked it up. How odd. Well, not odd when you think about it. I mean, when you think about it, again modifies the verb....)

Ahem.

Today I present to you what ronniebeegood did with scene cards and Blake Snyder's (Save the Cat ) methodology.

He says: "Here's a couple of pics complete with ugly masking tape. One shows the whole board:


"And the other shows a closeup of a segment:

(Click on the pictures for more detail.)

"It's a foldable scientific project board ($3.99) from Target and the index cards are upside down with the title at the bottom to get the accordion effect. There's a +/- on the bottom along with a >< conflict note just above the scene title. The colored mark at the bottom left of some of the cards indicates action in India vs. U.S. I want to do more color coding to show the interweaving better, but haven't done it yet. Still more work!"

Okay, that officially blows me off the map! I'm impressed!

(And I'll get back to the moleskine idea soon -- which could be used in conjunction with something more involved, like this.)

6 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger ronniebeegood said...

Thanks for turning me on to indexing and to Save the Cat! Great little book. The pics show how much work is ahead of me and I'm behind as usual. Hope to have a spiffy more color-coded rev "any day now," but love the fact that I can see the whole shebang at a glance. It has already led to some structural and plot changes and helps me, I think, put things together more logically with respect to interleaving and sequencing. But that masking tape sure is ugly!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

No, the masking tape is functional, it's easy to take off and put back on -- it works! Your accordian-style layering is sharp, too.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

omg. that makes me cry. just no words... i think my head is going to explode now.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Candace said...

Pooks, what are the + and - signs for?

This looks awesome.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

+/- is the symbol for the emotional arc of the scene.

>< is the symbol for the source of conflict in the scene.

(That's off the top of my head. Get the book -- SAVE THE CAT -- you'll like it!)

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

p.s. nerium -- it's no accident that novelists look at ronniebee's board and say "awesome!" and screenwriters look at it and heads explode!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home