guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Friday, March 10, 2006

GTD while STC

getting things done while saving the cat.

I've come up with a logline (still being refined, but it's a good logline at this point), and have come up with scene cards for the first act of the new script, and others. This morning I used post-its on top of index cards to start the storyboard. This is the top row; Act I.


I know you can't tell, but there's some really funny stuff there. Really.

And I can't wait to start writing. Really.

But I can't, because I'm going to keep going until I've outlined the rest of the script before I start writing, because I am doing this the Saving the Cat way. For once, I'm going to try and use logic and planning and the left side of my brain before I let the right side play.

Really.

But I couldn't keep going today because I had other things come up that called me away from it.

And then I came back to find post-its, index cards, gluestick, makeup, pens and pencils, the book SAVE THE CAT, my iPod and headphones, a bottle of Advil, an empty Jack-in-the-Box cup, a beat sheet, nail clippers, two moleskines, a telephone, water and a pill bottle and stuff all over my desk.

Writing is a messy business.


So I'm now whisking all my tools back into their proper places so that my desk will only have the things that actually belong on there until I can get to work on Act II.

You know the kinds of things.

A brass swan, Jane Austen, wooden frog, art deco ashtrays, metal sculpture lady on cell phone, white tiger, stuffed bird. The stuff that belongs on my desk.

Even though it is more than a little startled to realize there really is a desk there, and not just a mountain of papers, complete with landslides.

Because of GTD, I now have Organized Drawers, not to mention Places Where Things Belong.

Jane Austen is pleased.

9 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Candace said...

Oh! I can SO relate!
(peels of laughter)
And of course one must take pictures, upload them, and write something for the blog. Oh, but before that, the blog had to be redesigned.
Great post.
Um, I assume you'll have a visible sidebar eventually?

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Well, it's back now.

But I think I'm going back to the green.

What do you think?

I've got one vote for the old green template. Anybody else have opinions?

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Candace said...

This one seems to give you more room, but it needs ... something.
I thought the old green one was fine, but see your point about needing room.

Did you check out Garnie's blog? There's a lot of room on it. She has Categories so she can organize related posts. And all kinds of links and stuff. Plus, you can click on "Skins" and get different backgrounds. Way cool.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

That's WordPress. I don't know anything about it, or whether you can use it here. I should probably just figure out how to change the fonts on the green one.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get the little Jane Austen? That's extremely cool.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I bought her at The Writers Store in LA. They have a website. They also have Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare. I'm going to get Oscar Wilde next time I'm there. I think he and Jane would have a lot to discuss.

I've been told Archie McPhee also has them. She comes with a lap desk and holding a copy of Pride and Prejudice.

Action figures!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger ronniebeegood said...

I feel your energy. Finished the logline, finished Act I, AND organized your desk. More in a day than I can do in a month. Congrats! I'll take a stand-in nap for you so you can keep going. Onward to Acts II & III. Way to go!

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Oh goodness, that was not all in one day!

But yes, the juices are flowing!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Bill Tyler said...

I really like your thought process. This is similar to a tool that I'm using right now called the Bubble Planner, which combines mind mapping and GTD.

The spatial layout really gets both sides of the brain flowing. It's amazing how this lateral method of thinking stimulates the brain differently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home