guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Fresh Start

When I started this endeavor back on November 29, I thought I knew what it was going to be.

I was going to use the "Current Script Status" on the right to keep me honest, to (if I'm honest) even shame me into writing through the holidays.

I knew what the next script was going to be.

I had it outlined, and had even written a bit on it.

Things changed.

And instead of writing, the holidays were spent not writing.

Except for here. Here, I've been writing. (Rambling, more like it.) This was meant to prime the pump, and instead, it became the flow. That's not a bad thing. Oh, of course it probably is if you're reading this -- or if you started reading this and lost interest because it's so boring, and for that, sorry.

But it isn't a bad thing for me. For me the daily discipline has been good, and with the exception of Christmas Eve, I haven't missed a day.

Today is my first work day of 2006, and I'm back at ye olde drawing board, starting from scratch, coming up with ideas for a new project. And that feels good.

Will keeping a blog prime the pump once I'm actually writing? Possibly not. I don't know yet.

I'll tell you what really primes the pump for me, but if you're a writer, you already know this.

Writing well. Writing something that jazzes me -- not just pages, but a twist of plot, a twist of character, a twist of words. When that happens, the fizzy-flow spills over into my entire day no matter what nonsense the day throws at me. When it doesn't happen, I'm just flat water, no sparkle.

For some people there's a tendency to let a blog or journal be the jazz, the twist, the sparkle. It is their writing. It's a new form and they've made it something worth reading. For me, it's something on the side, not really my form.

But I'm glad to be able to dabble in it.

And now ... to a fresh blank page waiting for adjectives and verbs and nouns and sleight of hand.

It's time to stop waiting for The Idea and track it down with a loaded gun.

6 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger cmw said...

I know what you mean.

I've grown fond of blogs from reading yours and following links to others, so I made one. And here I am, charged up and still at the computer, hours later because I wrote this morning. Something I liked.

The idea that sorting thru the html to get the durn thing to look the way I want, might take some considerable amount of time, was beginning to cycle around my brain, but the Save the Cat scene cards are on the board behind me so I can't see them or the work I'm not doing.

I hope the blog doesn't become the work, but who knows. Apparently, I'm easily distracted.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I love your dogs!!!

Glad to see you've joined the fray. Pay no attention to the hell and brimstone alongside the path -- that comes with the screenwriting, not the blogging....

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Jay Ann Cox, PhD said...

And I joined a writing class, but I think mistakenly. I wanted to get the fizzy-flow of others, but I'm thinking that at this particular time, for me, it is going to be a buzz kill. So I'll resign methinks.

The discipline of blogging for Holidailies has shown me that I can write every day and often find that "well"... and there are three projects begging for my attention. thanks for articulating what I have been mulling over in my mullet head.

More on that in my own blog. :-) It's been grand, pooks, and I sure hope to see more of your blog and work... cheers!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

That's a shame about your writing class. But in my opinion, if they don't stimulate you to write, they aren't doing the job.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Candace said...

"... track it down with a loaded gun." LOVE that!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Yep, and that's what I'm doing. (Pay no attention to the holes in the ceiling.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home