guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Friday, January 13, 2006

Sisyphean Pooks

Once when I mentioned I was trying to clean off my desk, max said she had this image of me like "that Greek guy" who kept rolling the boulder up the mountain, only to have it roll down and start all over again, only with me it was my desk.

Oh, if only she knew.

It's not just my desk, it's my LIFE.

Okay, so in a Sisyphean (my word of the week) effort to once again try to get some semblance of control over my life I bought my new cute little Franklin planner and have been using it since Jan 1, and it works. It works really well.

Like most things, however, it only works as well I do.

Meaning, I have to remember to write things down.

WHICH I HAVE BEEN DOING!

Okay? I have. And I've been using it, and writing things down, and already I'm feeling just a leeeetle bit more like I'm gaining a leeeetle bit of control.

I woke up this morning and there in my planner I saw: 11:30 Lunch with C&P.

Yay! Lunch day!

You may remember this, because I mentioned it recently when I said:

I have three wrapped Christmas presents on the table beside me -- two to go to friends, and one from a friend to me. We decided to wait until we could all be together to open them. And then they opened theirs anyway. And They Know Who They Are. I'm not complaining, of course. (ahem)

I'm really proud of how well I've been keeping up with stuff this month.

So I get to lunch and there C sits and I have two books with me. I put them on the table and she says, "Oh good, you remembered!"

I stare at her. Oh. Wait, I was supposed to bring her a book.

Shit.

"No I didn't, oh no, I'm so sorry -- which book was I supposed to bring you?"

She told me, and I rolled my eyes because I am an idiot, but I promise I'll get it to her.

And then P shows up and in her hand is a pretty red package with fluffy green bow on it.

Oh my freaking gawd.

I showed up for lunch without the presents. The presents that are the reason for the lunch.

My little planner really does work, people. But it only works as well as the operator, and in this case the operator needs to learn to write down the details, damn it.

Oh, and one of the books I had with me today, that just came in the mail and I picked it up and took it with me to lunch because I wanted to glance through it if I happened to be there first?

The "how to get control of your life and your stuff" book.
I'll let you know if it helps.

(sigh)

7 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger cmw said...

Uh-oh. You could keep a to do list in one of your nifty moleskines. :)

I was well on the way to becoming one of those women who wander the grocery parking lot looking for my car. Well on the way.

I started parking in the lane that leads directly to the door, so when I go out the door, I just stay in the lane and eventually I get to the car.

Adapt or wander aimlessly.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Oh yeah, that's one of my issues because I live so close to the store I used to go up there two or three times a day. There was no reason to make a list -- if I forgot something, it was only 1/2 mile (or less). When you go in that often it's very easy to get confused about where you parked this time.

That isn't as much an issue any more because my laziness finally defeated my disorganization and I just don't want to have to go again. Plus I'm not cooking as much so not shopping as much.

I have figured out how to use the storyboard moleskine, though -- will update that soon!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger cmw said...

"I have figured out how to use the storyboard moleskine, though -- will update that soon!"

Yea!!

I carried mine around yesterday while I was running errands. (Hoping inspiration would strike, I suppose) I had been working on the STC scene cards before I left. My board is a mess. Lot of scenes but where do they go :(

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

cyn, I don't have a board yet, or, um, cards, but I do have a system for my moleskine!

one.day -- welcome to the ranch.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger cmw said...

So, tell.

Please?

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Soon, soon... trying to finish some other stuff first!

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just found the blog message I have to comment on. you wrote:

Once when I mentioned I was trying to clean off my desk, max said she had this image of me like "that Greek guy" who kept rolling the boulder up the mountain, only to have it roll down and start all over again, only with me it was my desk.

Oh, if only she knew.

It's not just my desk, it's my LIFE.

I comment:
Oh my---It is my HOUSE, MY LIFE, MY WORLD. We must be TWINSies

Cindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home