guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

"Act like ya been here before, son."


I've heard it said about Emmitt Smith, or maybe Tony Dorsett -- I don't know, I think I've heard it about several players. Maybe it's apocryphal or maybe it's something that has happened numerous times. But supposedly after the hot young running back had scored his first college touchdown and hotdogged in the end zone his grizzled old coach snarled at him, "Act like ya been here before, son."

That's some good advice, there. It works in football. It works in Hollywood. It works in life. Whether you've just scored your first touchdown, your first meeting at William Morris or your first fancy restaurant meal.

Looking at that picture .... well, obviously Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart have been here before. It's the Rose Bowl. And they've won a couple of national championships. They look almost bored with the whole thing.

And then there's Vince Young -- what a tourist. Look at those Mickey Mouse hands, I mean, really. And yet, that casual leaning on his coach's shoulder ... and after all, he has been here before. Last year. When Texas beat Michigan at the Rose Bowl.

Last year a friend from Michigan bet me that Michigan would trounce Texas.

What did I win?

Meet Vincetta:


She loves living in Texas!

And she's head-over-heels that Texas is back in the Rose Bowl this year!


This year I know WAY too many Trojans to make bets. This year, it's all about bragging rights.

Hmmm.

Texas.

Bragging.

I think we can handle it.

After all, we're undefeated at the Rose Bowl.

We've been here before.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger Jay Ann Cox, PhD said...

Sigh. I'm watching the game. Players are down. Points are elusive. Texas will soldier on.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Indeed, we did!

At the end almost spontaneously everyone in the house shouted, "Take your Heismans and shove 'em!" Champagne flowed. And it was good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home