guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Friday, January 06, 2006

Scattershooting

Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to Duane Thomas....

The Book of Daniel is way over-the-top unbelievable -- can there be that many dysfunctional people in one city block, much less one family? -- but I really liked it. Check it out.

Does balsamic vinegar go bad? I don't know how old it is .... I decided it might smell a tad wonky, so I didn't risk it. Damn it.

Two Dallas Morning News headlines that make me happy tonight:
Parcells staying with Cowboys and DeLay facing revolt in GOP. (Free registration, no spam, but you can probably find the stories elsewhere if you're interested.) Add that to a Texas: 2005 National Champions and we have good times.

Yesterday I linked to 2"x3" Post-Its for illustrative purposes, never thinking I'd actually end up ordering them online. But I spent way too long staring at an entire wall of the things at Office Depot today before I finally accepted that no, they do not have that size.

The NFL playoffs start tomorrow and my burnt-orange glow is still warming me so graciously that I haven't even stirred up my usual ability to root against the Redskins....

Oh and I've been meaning to ask, what's with Matthew McConaughey doing a backward "hook 'em" the other night? Is this the way the cool kids do it now, or was he, um, not entirely on planet Earth, shall we say?

I have three wrapped Christmas presents on the table beside me -- two to go to friends, and one from a friend to me. We decided to wait until we could all be together to open them. And then they opened theirs anyway. And They Know Who They Are. I'm not complaining, of course. (ahem)

AncyKate called me and I couldn't talk to her (again) and she was supposed to email her phone number to me and she hasn't done that yet. (ahem)

Oh, and um, I just remembered, I have a script I was supposed to read for somebody back in, oh dear, was it really November? I still haven't read it... um. Yeah. I need to do something about that, don't I. (I wonder if the writer has put a hit out on me yet.)

Today was a good day. I managed to get a cover letter and other presentation materials together to finally FedEx to LA only a few days later than I said I would. I worked on loglines/premises and made progress. None of it looks like a lot on paper, but it's the first work I've done in 2006, and I'm finally shifting back into gear, so, yay me! It also feels good that I did a significant portion of it while eating chips and nachos at a local TexMex joint. Love those working lunches!

And finally, it has been bunches of fun doing holidailies, even worth starting a blog just so I can do it! Thanks for all your hard work, Jette and Chip and "distinguished readers panel." I've met some new people, discovered new blogs, and learned more about people I've known awhile.

It's been good.

Now go whistle "We Three Kings" and have a few epiphanies!

6 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for also owing someone a read since November. I still owe the fabulous Toni notes (which will hopefully get done this weekend) and life keeps getting in the way. (I have mea culpaed so many times it's embarrassing.) Anyway, it makes me feel better to know I am not the only writer to commit this partiularly sin.

Now back to the doc with the Neverending Sinus Infection.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Candace said...

"I have three wrapped Christmas presents on the table beside me -- two to go to friends, and one from a friend to me. We decided to wait until we could all be together to open them. And then they opened theirs anyway."

Ahem. "We" did not decide any such thing. You asked what we should do, open or wait to open; I said my gifts were on the way to ya'll (and btw one was a subscription which couldn't be "opened" anyway) and my vote was to go ahead and open. Then you said no, we should wait to open. This does not constitute a decision made by the three of us. Ahem.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Gwenda: Are you reading yet?

Candace: But my version was simpler and easier to follow. Gee whiz, the truth is sometimes just too complicated.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually done with the read, I just need to be able to not have a headache and focus for an hour to type up my thoughts. I loved the hell out of it.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Jay Ann Cox, PhD said...

Hi Pooks... is that vinegar down the drain yet? :-)

Yes, vinegar can go bad. If it smells bad to you, then throw it out. The nose test is the best basic test.

Of course, if you're not used to what balsamic vinegar smells like, then you may be throwing out good vinegar.

Another sign would be sediment or bubbles.

This site had some interesting info about generic vinegar. http://www.survival-center.com/foodfaq/ff11-sta.htm#Vinegar

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Thanks! Yes, I tossed it. I bought more. And my husband has been putting it on everything in sight. What's up with that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home