guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Sisyphean Blackmail

As I've explained before, max first used the Greek boulder-rolling guy to describe me and my relationship with my desk.

Once the image got in my head, it stuck. Sisyphus, that's me. Which also describes me in other ways, because I am a big sissy and I do fuss a lot.

My desk, my office, need to be excavated. And so I am blackmailing myself.

It all started when toni sent me an email with the subject header "separated at birth?" and told me that Jenny Crusie and I were the very same person, and it was really scary, and sent me a link to her January 1, 2006 blog entry. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to link to that entry alone so am sending you to her archive. Scroll to the very bottom, the very first post, and you will see her office. Her desk.

Go on. I'll wait for you.

click and scroll down, way down, don't stop near the bottom when you see an office which isn't hers, go to the very bottom, okay?

Now, understand this. I'm not saying my office is neater than hers. I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just saying, I found myself looking long and hard trying to make up my mind whether it was or not ....

I have decided that the way to make myself dig in is to take a picture of it this morning. And every Monday morning. And the first Monday that it doesn't look better than it did the previous week?

I am posting today's "before" picture on the web for all to see.

Improvement each week. That should be doable.

Excuse me.

I have to go take a picture.

And just so you'll have something pretty to look at today:



Abby, the Australian Cattle Dog, a.k.a. Blue Heeler


p.s. You know, I would challenge everybody to post a picture of their office to their blog because I think that would be really interesting to see, but since I'm not posting my own yet, I guess that wouldn't be fair, would it?

8 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger cmw said...

OK. I posted a pix of mine, but my desk is relatively tidy. Which is not to say I don't have piles of books and notebooks and papers stacked where I can easily hide them in case company comes to call.

But the desk is neat.

The other day after I tried to find that producer book for a quote, it looked like the bookcase exploded.

Earl walked by and said, "What happened here?"

Whadda ya think? The bookcase exploded.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

You came to gloat that you have a clean desk and can hide your mess if company comes because it's so small and easy to hide, and you don't even tell me I have a pretty dog?

Bah!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger cmw said...

No gloat - honest. I don't entertain because there isn't enough time left in this millenium for me to hide my book and paper stacks should company arrive.

My desk is where I pretend I am a tidy island unto myself.

And that's a beautiful dog. I actually thought it was interesting that we each had a blue merle canine companion. As in what are those odds ...

So, where's your picture. :)

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, let me say, Abby is absolutely GORGEOUS. Second, if it is only your desk and office I will raise you one dining room, 3 bedrooms and a basement that only has minimal aisles to squish through. The cats enjoy being able to play hide and seek in it all though. It's just as well I don't have a digital camera.

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger seemaxrun said...

Holy Jesus. I make jokes about your desk. But. Um. I thought you were exagerating.

You know they did a big photo of me in a Seatle paper and I thought it was odd when I said they could take a photo of me in my office they told me I was the only writer they spoke to out of scads of writers who said yes. Looking at that photo, I am for the first time knowing why....

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger seemaxrun said...

ps: abby is super cute

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Cynthia, note this from the above entry:

I have decided that the way to make myself dig in is to take a picture of it this morning. And every Monday morning. And the first Monday that it doesn't look better than it did the previous week?

I am posting today's "before" picture on the web for all to see.


That's the blackmail. I will only post that picture IF on any Monday morning it's not cleaner than it was the previous. Ha! I am blackmailing myself! Thus, no pictures. Yet. (I hope ever, but er uh.)

Cindy, thank you for noticing my gorgeous Abby, and no way are we going to start talking about the rest of my house. Yikes!

Max - a Dallas television crew wanted to come to my house when I won the Nicholl and take pictures of me in my office ("Don't clean it up -- let it be like it always is, I'm sure that will be more interesting!) and I said, NO. I did clean my office for a documentary once, when somebody wanted to film Sam doing his tornado-prognosticating, and that's where he did it. I CLEANED MY OFFICE. That is love, twue love, to quote the Archbishop in The Princess Bride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home