guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

She Memed Me

Diane did it, so now I shall.

Four Jobs I've Had:

Concessions at a movie theater -- Ah, the memories. I grew up around movies, and this was my first job ever. I put a guitar on layaway and paid for it each week with the money I got from working. I was in high school. And I had a target on my back and didn't know it. My mother was secretary to the general manager of the theater chain, which is how I got the job. The other kids who worked there pretty much hated me once they found that out, but were nice to my face, and I couldn't figure out the mixed signals, but what the hey, it was my first job and I was getting money and I felt very grown up. One night they were talking about the lie detector tests that were coming up in a couple of months -- evidently an annual event. And the girl who worked the shift with me explained casually that when asked "Have you ever stolen anything," it was important to say, "Yes." And then explain, "Popcorn. We always grab popcorn and snack on it while we're working our shifts." She said you never get in trouble for stealing popcorn, and it covers you for other things. I didn't get it. I mean, I understood what she was saying and laughed because it seemed more like a joke than anything. I didn't "get" that there might be anything more. Then a few nights later when I was getting off my shift, she and one of the ushers handed me a bunch of candy. Said, "Take this, it's free." Well I wasn't THAT stupid. But they kept insisting, they'd found a box in the storeroom that wasn't on the books, so everybody was taking some. I finally took a couple of bars and gave them to the friend who was picking me up. For some reason the job didn't last much longer -- oh wait, I remember. The choir's annual musical was coming up and I needed to be available to paint scenery and rehearse every night, so I quit.

It was years later, many years, that I thought back on the few months I worked at the theater and began to wonder, what was going on there? I mentioned it to my mom. Oh, they had a big shakeup there within a year of me leaving. Lots of stealing and stuff going on. So either I was being set up to share blame if it happened, or take blame? I dunno. I'm sure glad I was in the choir.

Sold children's shoes Ugh. Let's move on.

Customer service, City of Dallas Water Utilities -- Well, I'm good on the phone. I rocked at that. It got kind of messy when they figured out I was pregnant when they hired me, but they couldn't say anything, and I set records for phone calls handled. Nobody who knows me well would be surprised at that. I mean, me. Phone. 'Nuff said.

Videographer -- Came up because of the resident storm chaser and the kinds of jobs he was offered regarding weather, video, etc. And somehow I started taking his overflow. Next thing you know, I'm a videographer. Who knew?

Four movies I can watch over and over again:

Yes, you've heard this before, but she asked! The Lion in Winter. And again, and again, and again. I bought the DVD before I had a DVD player.

About a Boy That one caught me by surprise. I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking the ending was really really really sappy. Thinking I wasn't sure I liked it all THAT much. But then I got it from Netflix and watched it. And the next day found myself slipping it in again and watching it. And then (although I didn't realize it at the time) I got anemic and found myself spending way too much time dozing on the sofa, and I'd plug in Hugh Grant and Toni Collette and they were just very comforting for me. I finally bought the damn thing, and I still like it a lot.

Moonstruck Damn, I love this one. I love the family dynamics, the over-the-top scenery-chewing, the "Snap outta it!" and the sugar cubes in champagne.... I watched this the first time loving every moment of it, but with a hard knot in my stomach because I didn't know how it would end, and knew that if it didn't end just right, with just the right wonderful emotional note, I would be so bitterly disappointed -- and it's one of the few movies that I know I literally would have gotten right back in line to see immediately, and in fact tried to convince my friend to do just that, but she had other commitments. I even loved Norman Jewison's follow up film so much I own it in DVD and watch it more often than probably anybody else on earth. I didn't do that well and nobody seems to remember it, but I love it, too. Only You It's more of a guilty pleasure, but that doesn't stop me from loving its twisty-turny plot and its gorgeous Italian scenery and its sheer romantic nature.

This is hard. Partially because there are a number of films that I like enough to see over and over, and I've named the three that stand out. (Think, think, think.) And no, I don't count Only You because it's one of the crowd, but I felt like mentioning it because of the Norman Jewison thing. (Think, think, think.) There are a lot of films that I love for many different reasons, but have some major element that ultimately stops me from actually wanting to see them over and over. Maybe they rip my heart out and I just can't suffer that often. Or, like Bringing Up Baby I could watch the first half dozens of times but somehow the second half doesn't hold up as well for me, or The Philadelphia Story which suffers from the time period and has some aspects of its resolution that are downright annoying.

Oh hell, I've named enough movies so let's move on.

Four places I've lived:

Dallas
Dallas
Dallas
Dallas

(Yes, there have been a couple of others, but hey, Dallas simply trumps them.)

Four tv shows I love:

DALLAS COWBOYS FOOTBALL
HOUSE
BOSTON LEGAL
THE APPRENTICE

Four places I've vacationed:

Washington D.C
New Orleans
Colorado
UK

Four of my favorite dishes:

Sour cream chicken enchiladas
Jambalaya
Prime rib (or) ribeye steak
Bread pudding with lemon sauce and creme fraiche with brandy

Four blogs I visit every day:

43 Folders
Pamie
Defamer
Nobody Knows Anything My first online journal habit, and a habit still.

Four places I would rather be right now:

In a cottage in the Lake District.
In a cottage on the coast of Cornwall.
This place on the Olympic Peninsula

And another on the Olympic Peninsula (yes I've been surfing the area):



(Check back later -- I may add links to the English cottages, too.)

Four bloggers I'm tagging:

The first four who email me and say, "Choose me!" And then I'll link to you!

Okay, development hell -- you're it!

2 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Is commenting considered emailing? I'd love to do the meme.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Absolutely! Can't wait to read it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home