guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Me Talking to Myself

As many of my close writer friends know, I have a habit of calling to complain that I have a plotting problem or a problem with a scene and somehow managing to rattle off a long monologue of what isn't working, why it isn't working, and what I've tried to do to fix it -- and suddenly having a brainstorm and realizing I know what to do, and thanking them profusely, and hanging up and running back to my writing.

Without them having ever said much more than, "Uh-huh," a few times.

I've even started writing a long email to send off to somebody along the same lines, and by the time I get to the end, I no longer need to write it.

Well, I'm not alone.

merlin writing to himself

Try it. It may help you, too.

5 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Candace said...

Thanks -- good advice.
I've found several times that while I'm writing or answering a friend's email, I'll come up with something "blogworthy."

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Jay Ann Cox, PhD said...

I started babbling into a voice recorder. I usually don't have to listen to it back, but it beats having to say "and how are you?" when I really want to be back at keyboard.

I have to say a gracious thank you, pooks, for the post-it Moleskine ideas... I read part of Save the Cat at Borders and had to put it down and go make some notes. I'm also currently looking for a local group to do that writing group thang with... cheers!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

You're supposed to ask them how they're doing?

Oh.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I always do this with friends and family. As soon as start mapping out why something's a problem or what's not working for me to someone, I'll get halfway through the explaination and go- sonnuvabitch! Cause something's occured to me.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I'm very verbal -- I've always managed to work out plot issues by talking them out more than writing them out. I did figure out that writing emails can approximate talking, though, and often works wonders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home