guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Summer Birds

I have this friend -- we've been friends for over twenty years. Her name is Kate. I don't remember her last name. (Don't ask.)

Anyway, after years of living a half hour away from me, she had the audacity to move to the Texas hill country and I haven't quite forgiven her for that. And because of odd cell coverage and such, Kate tends to call me from her cell phone when she's out in the car driving, and for some weird reason she never calls when I'm actually home. So I come home and find out I've missed her again. So we haven't actually talked in yonks.

Last week she emailed me about something and I responded, "I have a blog. Here's the URL." And so she came and read, and next thing I know, I have an email from Kate saying:

" THE-SUMMER-BIRDS-PENELOPE-FARMER-1962-hb, According to Amazon.com, this is a fantasy about a boy who teaches the village children to fly. Amazon has 16 used books starting at $1.95. Looks like the book was written in '62."

With links to copies on Ebay and Amazon. (I have yet to figure out how used book sites price used books because while it's highly likely that the copy I ordered for $1.99 is priced that low for a reason, I doubt seriously if the copy that is priced $250.00 could be worth a tenth of that, but I digress.)

The point is, well, wow.

She found the book about some bird-boy (see #9) that I've looked for for years, and she found it in five minutes.

I have a feeling if Kate had called me on the phone (pretend I'd actually been home to answer) and I'd said, "Hey, glad you called, there's a book I've been looking for and can't find, why don't you find it for me?" Well, let's just say I'm not betting the farm that Kate would have chirpily hung and done my bidding.

But put it in the blog, and next thing I know -- well, there ya go. That's either the power of the blog. Or a good friend.

Or both.

4 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I choose both! And danged if I wouldn't have looked it up for you had we ever managed to talk, but I'll bet you wouldn't have thought to mention it, since there's so many other things we haven't talked of in a coon's age.

AncyKate Trying-to-win-the-longest-sentence-contest (Legally changed from Don't-Ask)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

What IS your last name, anyway, stranger?

(You don't have to answer that. I realize - witness protection and all. Mum's the word.)

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger genderist said...

Good friends are hard to come by-- gotta hold on to the good ones you have!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Hi, genderist - welcome! Just checked out your profile and "Uglyhoma" cracks me up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home