guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

How DO you pronounce it, anyway?

So I'm listening to the Terrell Owens/Jerry Jones press conference, and suddenly I hear Terrell's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, talking about how Jerry and Terrell had formed a relationship on the flight to Dallas Saturday, how they'd bonded and how moving it was to see....

Was I the only one that heard Gustavo Santaolalla strumming his guitar in the background?

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

So, what do I think? I think it's going to be fun to watch. I think anybody who feels like Terrell Owens dishonored the "Star" in the middle of Texas Stadium and thus forfeited any chance to wear one on his helmet needs to buy a clue.

It was theater, pure theater, and when George Teague nailed him (and got kicked out of the game and fined) that was pure theater, too.


And a lot of fun to watch!

It was fun to hate Terrell, but hey, there was a time when we hated Deion and then he became a Cowboy and look how nicely that turned out!

Nine years without winning a playoff game is downright embarrassing.

I say, go for it. And if it doesn't work?

Next!

And will somebody definitively settle this? For years I heard TerrELL. Now I'm hearing TERRell.

How DO you pronounce his name, anyway?

4 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Candace said...

I don't know how he wants his name pronounced. I seem to remember back in the days of Tony Dorsett that at a certain point in one's football career, a player may choose exactly how he wants to be known. Howard Cossel(sp) refused to say the new "Anthony DorSETT" instead of his usual Tony DORsett. At least for a while. Then he compromised and called the guy Tony DorSETT.

Maybe TERRell is changing his to TerRELL, or vice-versa now?

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Well, I know Joe Theismann's name was pronounced Theezman until he was hoping for a Heisman and switched to rhyme. Didn't work -- Jim Plunkett won that year. (No, I didn't really remember who won, just that he lost, until I looked it up.)

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

It was the former and not the latter pronounciation when he was here in S.F. Candace is spot on with the Dorsett example, when players reach a certain status, they change it up or they've never bothered to correct reporters before.

"That's Fran-ken-steeen."

The Deion example is exactly how I feel about it when he brought the Lombardi trophy here. All is forgiven if you take my team to the promised land.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Terrible? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home