guilty of being ...

everything that is here has been moved to my new location: http://planetpooks.wordpress.com
come on over and find this material and new material, as well!

Friday, March 24, 2006

Expertise

What kind of aura am I sending out these days?

First one of my students (I teach adult continuing ed classes) asks me, "If somebody's been drinking too much, been really drunk the night before, would they be hungry the next morning?"

Um, do I look like the expert witness on such things?

Evidently. "No, the last thing they'd want is food." At least, in my experience, not that I have any, I mean, ahem.

Today I get an email from toni:

What do they call the board thingie when they're betting on football and they have the scores in columns and wherever your name is, that intersection is what you have a bet on, score-wise? Does that question even make sense? I want to call it something speicific if there's a universal name (or is it simply a football board?).

Okay, I have no freaking idea. I don't bet on football. Football is too important, it would be like betting on a church service.

Heh.

But it does make me wonder what I'm going to be asked next, and why people come to me with these questions.

In the meantime, I have a question of my own.

So I have a character -- a magnificent arrogant bastard of a character. A pianist and composer. He's also hot. And I named him Sebastian. And somebody whom I will not name is "sorry" to inform me that she thinks the name is "icky."

So, taking votes. (Not that I would actually change it, mind you.)

Sebastian: Hot or icky?

And last but not least, my team plays toni's team tomorrow night.

Hook 'em.

10 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger cmw said...

Students ask the teacher questions because they think teacher knows all. Kind of like being mother to the universe.

If I remember college correctly, if one is not seriously hung over, one might wake up parched and hungry.

Isn't that board thingie the football pool?

Sebastian sounds like a pirate. That could be hot.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger ronniebeegood said...

If you look this up in "Jennifer & Jason", (did you?) Sebastion would be a handsome and manly British rogue with exotic creative power. Maybe with the exception of the manly part, (some might say that a pianist/composer would be more feminine?) that would be perfect for an arrogant hot pianist composer. The only other fly in the ointment, perhaps, is that Sebastion is also the name of a Saint. However, that would allow him to have some redeeming quality. Sounds like a good combination of traits to me. My vote: HOT!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I think the guy was asking about "hung over" hunger, which I don't think is common. At least not in my -- um, what I've heard.

And of course Sebastian is manly. Harrumph.

(I was thinking "musical" and didn't like Wolfgang.)

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Candace said...

I don't think Sebastian is an icky name. It's kinda cool. And I never thought of a pianist/composer as feminine.

I agree with Cynthia that it's called a football pool -- perhaps technically it's a grid. Or betting grid? I dunno.

I'm going to Google for this Jennifer & Jason thingy!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I think it's called an "odds board" or "betting board." I'd research it further but Google gave me to many non-related hits with "message board" in them and a Polish site that appeared relevant, tried to give me a Trojan virus. So I'm out.

Sebastian definitely gives the air of someone who is musical and names that have that French/English crossover, initially sound more sophisticated.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drunk, hung-over = food. The board I think is a tote, at least in the UK, and Sebastian is perfect for a bastard, evil, corrupt type, very Old School Brit. Jack the Ripper was actually a Sebastian, did you know that?

And your aura is perfect Dear, as for the question? Hmm... are you married? That's usually mine. Nope.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Aw, Toni -- it's because those guys in South Louisiana have sissy French names, that's why they beat up guys with sissy English names.

I also found Sebastian on a list of RAF Fighter Pilot Names. How hot is that?

I had no idea the Ripper was a Sebastian. Figures.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Heather Brewer said...

Sebastian is hot, deep, mysterious and poetic. It's got my vote!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Maybe that someone you won't name has pianist envy.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Welcome, Heather! I'm not surprised you like Sebastian -- it could be rather blood-sucking, couldn't it?

And martian -- I'm so cracking up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home